Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I think I'm going to make a habit out of separating the 3 countries into their own sections and, if room permits, to provide a photo taken from each of the countries. I find it fascinating how all 3 of these countries (along with others) are so rich both in culture and history. You can't pick one photo to represent them.

Lao
I have yet to receive my book from the mail, and I haven't found Lao font for windows yet. But I have this great picture of the steps to Wat Phou (Khmer Buddhist temple located in Laos) for you all to enjoy. It's dated, but it's still beautiful. I think the temple was structured around the 11th century. I think it's wonderful how many ruins are still left standing, because Laos (correct me if I'm wrong) is the most bombed country in the world. I think something like 10,000 bombs were dropped every 8 seconds for years during the Vietnam War. It's an alarming statistic, but if it's an untrue statistic, please let me know.


Thai

I did a lot of Thai studying today. I reviewed the letters I learned and made sure I noted the English keyboard code for them. Let me repeat: typing in Thai is very difficult! I can't imagine what it's going to be like typing in Lao, because I'm not as familiar with the Lao alphabet.

I took lesson 4's test and finally passed it after the 3rd time. I think I sort of understand Thai's way of telling time, but I will review tomorrow again before I move on to the next lesson to make sure I still remember. So 1:00am-6:00am are as they are. 7:00am-11:00am may also be 1:00pm-5:00pm because of the quarterly-based system. Umm...I guess I'll stop now. :P

Japanese
I translated our class' next lesson after typing out the conversation and printing it out. The book doesn't provide enough space for all the notes I have to take so I retyped it and printed it out. I also was informed that I made some mistakes on yesterday's blog when I was demonstrating my knowledge. There's no question mark after か because the question is already intended. And I should have typed "Malivahn" and "Laos" in Katakana instead of Hiragana because they're foreign words. So here it is again, revised:

あ、こんにちは、わたしのなまえはマライワンです。 ラオスからきました。かわいいね。 わかりますか。 またね。

No comments: