Lao
I finally got my book today. I'm really excited. I kind of flipped through it once. I can't read Laotian, although there are some similarities between the Lao and Thai alphabet. I can't wait to learn. Unfortunately, they have only published Lao for beginners, and so I can't get very far self-taught. Hopefully, I'll be awarded the scholarship to study Lao at the University of Wisconsin next summer. That's something I'm just putting out there, definitely not something I'm incredibly serious about. There are a lot of things I would like to do next summer.
I learned the Thai months. I never knew what they were in Thai (or in Lao) and now I know them. :D YAY!! They're so long:
January = magaraakom
February = gumpaapan
March = miinaakom
April = meesaayon
May = prutsapaakom
June = mitunaayon
July = garagadaakom
August = singhaakom
September = ganyaayon
October = dtulaakom
November = prutsajigaayon
December = tanwaakom
Okay, I did that from memory so hopefully I didn't get any of them wrong. :D Maybe by the next journal, I will know how to write them in
Thai. :P
Oh boy...it might be because I'm just starting or something, but I really dislike kanji. It's hard especially if you're not an artist. I thought to myself, if there is something that would make me dislike Japanese or something that would make me want to give up, it's kanji. It's boring and frustrating when I can't get it to look right.
Otherwise, class is going great. I got a "よくできました”on my last homework assignment so I'm happy. I still haven't practiced learning katakana yet, and it's putting me very far behind so I should buckle up and get on that as soon as I can. But anyways, I should keep track of the kanji we're studying so that in 201 I can look back in this blog and remember:
機 (き) = machine
あっち側 (あっちがわ) = on the other side
階段 (かいだん) = stairs
電話 (でんわ) = telephone
自動販売機 (じどうはんばいき) = vending machine
食堂 (しょくどう) = dining hall
学生 (がくせい) = student
女子学生 (じょしがくせい) = female student
留学生 (りゅがくせい) = international student
宿舎 (しゅくしゃ) = lodging
宿舎 (しゅくしゃ) = lodging
場所 (ばしょ) = place
階 (かい) = floor (story)
田中 (たなか) = Japanese name, Tanaka
No comments:
Post a Comment